Welcome

Welcome to the blog about personalizing social learning by using games and Web 2.0 tools.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

BP4_Toondoo

I am excited about this Web 2.0 tool from Toondoo where students can create online cartoons with built in clip art. I have used cartoons as a way to get students to use their creativity in learning the Spanish language. Often students feel overwhelmed because they "can't draw" or are "not creative". So this alleviates the art aspect of cartoons and allows students to enjoy their creativity.


Trial Run to my first cartoon

This tool has uses outside of the classroom as well. If you find yourself needing to make a point, but don't want to "nag", you can create your own cartoon.



Or if you have a store or a need for advertising, you can create your own advertisement.

A start to an add for my friend's shoe store


The ideas for this tool are endless. There is an option when saving that you can allow others to change your cartoon. So if you are working collaboratively with a group around the country, you can choose this option. You can also email friends to view the cartoon. Once completed, you can change the setting to not allow changes. The other option that is interesting is the purchase option. Others can purchase your cartoon. You may be able to use this as a fundraiser for your school or activity club. 

Happy Creating!

7 comments:

  1. This is total cool. i like the creativeness on this web 2.0. Great job on your blog post Jen Jen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny, I used Toondoo a couple of years ago in my classroom but I had forgotten about it until I saw your post. The problem I ran into at that time is that when I had the class log onto it all at once, it tended to freeze up. I loved the site though because of the varied backgrounds and options for student use.
    Thank you for showing it to me again. I will try it out again with my class. Hopefully they have updated and improved.
    ~~ Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey this is cool! so easy! in about 5 minutes I made a pic of my family...http://www.toondoo.com/privateView.toon?param=TeRC8Zry9BDRNutmdkM9mZQPKXzfi%2FPvjAjE%2FvxkGHgHTm7Q4eul1Q%3D%3D

    I think this is great to use when a specific content needs to be addressed (Storybird stories are pretty much dictated by the pics); this tool will help those people with definite ideas, make the visuals to communicate those ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great tool especially for a younger or hard to reach group. I want to look more into this tool myself because it sounds like it would work well for my class. In general my kids are on the younger side for their grade and they love little cartoon things. Creating rhymes and pictures together will get them to help pay attention. Great find and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenney, thanks for sharing! This is a really fun tool and definitely something useful for learning language. Your blog post for ToonDoo particularly caught my eye as I am also interested in finding new ways to share and apply language with learners. I like that the tool is easy to use and friendly for those of us who are not artistically inclined.

    I look forward to sharing and learning more with you in the future.

    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is super cool. I am a big fan of goanimate.com and xtranormal.com and this seems to be in the same ballpark. I like using apps like this to create content for my classes. Even more, I like exposing sites like this to my students. I feel if I can get them to produce content related materials for me while also learning a new web tool then I am accomplishing two goals in one. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this tool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenney,
    Thanks for sharing this creative web 2.0 tool. This site would also be a way to create material for pre-teaching that would be engaging for students… an updated “anticipatory set” using technology. I am always looking for ways to include and integrate technology with things I already do in my classroom. I like to create a hook into the unit and this could be another way to achieve that. This would also be a good connection to make with art and music. I am planning a mini-course using web 2.0 tools and this looks like one I should add!

    ReplyDelete